Thursday, April 24, 2008

Pursuit

Lately I've felt the weight of knowing that the majority of things I've been striving for and working towards will not last more than a decade and will break or rust and end up in the garbage. Even knowing this, I still work just as hard for these things. This is my attempt to explain. Hope it makes sense.

The pursuits of my heart chase after mere things.
Whatever value inherently exists within these trinkets,
I terminate on the wind-blown desires of my fickle imagination.
My soul aches for divine communion.
Yet, in response, I reach for the absurd and mundane.
Efforts to pacify the inward hunger by misdirection and slight of hand,
only serve to increase the unquenched appetite and distend my starving spirit.
What healing would it bring if only I heard a single word from You?
What fullness would I gain from a vision of my Savior?
What warmth would accompany a slight hint of Your life-giving breath?
Where can I go to find that which sustained those ancient men?
I thirst for Your guidance.
But my evil soul flees from Your presence.
It kidnaps and carries me on its broad shoulder of stubborn conceit
as I strain to reach back and call out for Your rescue.
Greed and selfish desire hold me hostage.
The self imposed chains of worldly pursuit have anchored me to this immovable stone.
I cannot break free from my junkyard prison.
My only hope is in Your release.

0 comments: